„Informația este valuta democrației.” – Thomas Jefferson
- ACLU’s Cyber Liberties Page
- „Cyberspace must be free!”
- Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)
- a non-profit public interest organization based in Washington with a mission to develop and advocate public policies that advance constitutional civil liberties and democratic values in new computer and communications technologies.
- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
- Chilling Effects aims to help you understand the protections that the First Amendment and intellectual property laws give to your online activities.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)
- An excellent (IMO) non-profit, public interest organization originally concerned with the ethics and effects of computers on society, with an increasing focus on aspects of cyberlaw and electronic civil liberties. See also:
- Computers and Academic Freedom (CAF)
- Addresses questions surrounding the role of computers and networking at academic institutions, including such issues as should universities ban materials (e.g., from netnews facilities, email, libraries and student publications) that some find offensive. Be sure to check out their FAQ.
- publishes documents that are prohibited by governments worldwide, in particular material on freedom of expression, privacy, cryptology, dual-use technologies, national security and intelligence — open, secret and classified documents — but not limited to those.
- Crypto Rights.org
- „Security for Human Rights & Human Rights for Cryptographers.”
- A CPSR working group promoting a Declaration of Rights in Cyberspace and the survival of democracy in the Information Age.
- See also their list of interesting Web Sites
- See also: Our local cypherpunk page
- Digital Future Coalition
- Act now to oppose the many extraneous provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- A non-profit civil liberties public interest organization working to protect freedom of expression, privacy, and access to online resources and information.
- Some highlight of their excellent site:
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- A public interest research center established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
- An International Survey of Encryption Policy
- Encryption Policy Resource Page
- Encryption technology is the key to the future of the information revolution. It allows businesses and individuals to communicate securely over any inexpensive communication platform without fear of eavesdropping.
- Free Software
- The Free Software Foundation (FSF)
- Creators and supporters of the GNU Project
- GNU/Linux resource page (by CoMedia)
- The various free Linux and *BSD operating system software distributions allow you to get the most out of your hardware while not contributing to (and becoming a slave to) the large software monopoly, Microsoft.
- Not necessarily free, but the source code is available which still enables better/easier integration than closed source (e.g., Microsoft) Approved Open Source licenses
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar
- by Eric Raymond
- The Global Internet Liberty Campaign (GILC)
- An international survey of privacy laws and practice
- ICANN Watch
- a collaborative effort to keep an eye on the activities of ICANN, perhaps the most powerful force on the Internet
- League for Programming Freedom (LPF)
- Internet Patent News Service
- a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting effective grassroots citizen action campaigns by creating coalitions that link online activists with grassroots organizations, providing training in effective Internet organizing and advocacy, and educating the public, policymakers and the media about technology-based social and political issues.
- NetAction Internet Resources
- The Virtual Activist – A Training Course
- the Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)The ACLU’s mission is to fight civil liberties violations whenever and whereever they occur.
Coalition for Progressive ValuesTo infuse progressive values throughout public policy in America by connecting progressive organizations, their members and other citizens with each other and to ballot initiatives, campaigns and legislative action.
Common Causea nonprofit, nonpartisan citizen’s lobbying organization promoting open, honest and accountable governmentTheir Washington Watchdog area is particularly useful
Endgame Research Servicesprovides research services and training to citizens who are working for corporate and governmental accountability, and who are committed to socially just and ecologically sustainable societies.
The Freedom Foruma nonpartisan, international foundation dedicated to free press, free speech and free spirit for all people. The foundation focuses on four main priorities: the Newseum, First Amendment freedoms, newsroom diversity and world press freedom.
The Freedom of Information CenterServing the general public and the media on questions about access to government documents and information
From The Wildernessby Mike Ruppert who, according to Dick Gregory, is „the man who cost CIA Director Deutch his guaranteed appointment as Secretary of Defense after confronting him at Locke High School with hard facts about CIA dealing drugs.”
Human Rights Discussion & Mailing ListsDiscussion of human rights issues including civic, political, economic and social rights, as defined by international law.
InFactChallenging corporate abuseBuilding grassroots power
Institute for First Amendment Studiesa non-profit founded in 1984 to expose and counter the political activities of the radical Religious Right
People for the American Waycommitted to defending democracy and bringing the ideals of community, opportunity, diversity, equality and fairness together to form a strong, united voice
politechbot.com – by Declan McCullagha moderated mailing list of politics and technology. Topics include privacy, free speech, the role of government and corporations, antitrust, and more.
Power Structure Researchan approach to the study of power that highlights the unequal distribution of resources upon which power is based (e.g., wealth, political office, control of the mass media) and the importance of formal and informal social networks as the means by which power is concentrated and institutionalized
Program on Corporations, Law & Democracy (POCLAD)Instigating democratic conversations and actions that contest the authority of corporations to govern.
ProgressivePunch.orga non-partisan searchable database of Congressional voting records from a Progressive perspective
Public CitizenProtecting Health, Safety & Democracy since 1971Founded by Ralph Nader
School of the Americas WatchSOA Watch is an independent organization that seeks to close the US Army School of the Americas, under whatever name it is called, through vigils and fasts, demonstrations and nonviolent protest, as well as media and legislative work.
Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC)Want the real dope on the feds? Want to know what government enforcers actually DO rather than what they SAY they do? TRAC is a source for nonpartisan facts on federal law enforcement. Its mission: to put the government on the record–it’s own record.TRAC the ATF, DEA, FBI, IRS and others…
United for a Fair EconomyCreators of the excellent and informative site Billionaires For Bush Or Gore .comworking to address the widening income and asset gap in our country
WartimeLiberty.comthe place to find factual, no-nonsense information about the tension between liberty and security during wartime.
Alternative Health News Onlinepresents a number of techniques and approaches that appear to be worth your time to investigate and to discuss with your physician or health-care provider, and reports on wellness and natural approaches to staying healthy and living longer.
AlternativeMedicine.comThe Internet’s largest database of alternative medical health information
American Preventative Medical Association„Making Health Care Freedom a Reality”
Center for Food Safetyprovides leadership in legal, scientific, and grassroots efforts to address the increasing concerns about the impacts of our food production system on human health, animal welfare, and the environment.
California Citizens for Health Freedoma grassroots advocacy organization committed to protecting and expanding consumer natural health choices.
The Human Awareness Institute (HAI)HAI promotes personal growth and social evolution by replacing ignorance and fear with awareness and love. The Human Awareness Institute aims to create a world where people live together in dignity, respect, understanding, trust, kindness, honesty, compassion and love.
The Food Guide PyramidThe Food Guide Pyramid for Young ChildrenNew Food Pyramid (Scientific American, January 2003)
Institute for Health Freedomestablished to bring the issues of personal health freedom to the forefront of America’s health policy debate
MindFreedom / Support Coalition Internationalan alliance of more than 70 grassroots groups in 11 countries united to win human rights in the „mental health system.”
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)a center of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) dedicated to exploring complementary and alternative healing practices in the context of rigorous science; training CAM researchers; and disseminating authoritative information.
Organic Consumers AssociationCampaigning for Food Safety, Organic Agriculture, Fair Trade & Sustainability.
Path to FreedomProviding pathways for living a self-sufficient lifestyle in an urban setting
Sex and SexualitySuch an important topic it gets it’s own section
Tobacco and its Dangers
- Infact’s Tobacco Industry Campaign
- Kraft Boycott
- Bombarded by billions of dollars in tobacco advertising and promotion, 3,000 US teens start smoking every day. Half of those who wind up hooked for life will die a painful, early death from illnesses like lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and strokes. Tobacco giant Philip Morris counts on us to support them in the grocery store by buying their Kraft, Post, and Maxwell House products.
- your guide to smokefree dining, entertainment and travel.
- „our goal is to alert everyone to the lies and hidden practices of the cigarette companies, while giving people the tools to have a voice in changing that.”
True Food Nowa free service from Greenpeace, to connect consumers who want to take action to end the use of genetically engineered (GE) ingredients in our foods.
World Food ProgrammeHunger afflicts one out of seven people on Earth. WFP is the frontline United Nations Agency whose mission is to provide: Food for LIFE to sustain victims of man-made and natural disasters; Food for GROWTH to improve the nutrition and quality of life of the most vulnerable people at critical times in their lives; and Food for WORK to help build assets and promote the self-reliance of poor people and communities, particularly through labour-intensive works programmes.
World Health OrganizationThe objective of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health. Health, as defined in the WHO Constitution, is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
Yoga (DMOZ directory listing)
- Alternative News Sites (compiled by the Think team)
- Get your news from places other than AOL/Yime-Warner media conglomerates
- „Your best source for antiwar news, viewpoints and activities”
- Flash! When Will We Learn? – by Harry Browne
- Baring Witness
- PEACE – it’s such a simple word, but it has many connotations in the current political climate.
- Iraq Peace Pledge/Pledge of Resistance
- Sponsored by a growing coalition of national and local groups, the Iraq Peace Pledge is a way for you to publicly register your opposition to war on Iraq, and more.
- Join a nationwide grassroots netowrk for change
- Not In Our Name
- Take the Pledge of Resistance
- Peace Action
- Peace Action works to achieve the abolition of nuclear weapons, the development of a peace-oriented economy, an end to the international weapons trade, and promotes non-military solutions to international conflict.
- listings of anti-war and anti-racism events that are being organized around the world
- United for Peace
- Let’s show the world that we are united in our opposition to a war against Iraq.
- Win Without War
- a coalition of national organizations representing broad constituencies that aim to Keep America Safe by advocating alternatives to preemptive war in Iraq. The coalition offers a mainstream, patriotic voice for engaging opinion makers, activating concerned citizens, and communicating effectively to the media.
- Amnesty International
- Join the FAST (Fast Action Stops Torture) Campaign. It’s the easiest way I know of to make a difference.
- California Peace Action
- you may remember them as CA SANE/FREEZE…
- Center for Economic Conversion
- dedicated to building a sustainable peace-oriented economy
- DMOZ: Society: Issues: Peace
- An excellent resource of links
- Federation of American Scientist
- dedicated to the responsible use of science and technology.
- Free Tibet
- The situation in Tibet is desperate: after more than 45 years of Chinese occupation of the country the Tibetan people are literally at risk of disappearing from the face of the earth in a few years. The opening of dialogue between the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government in Exile and the Peoples Republic of China, still unrealized, adds to the gravity of the situation.
- Manifesto 2000 — [English Translation]
- The year 2000 must be a new beginning for us all. Together we can transform the culture of war and violence into a culture of peace and non-violence. This demands the participation of everyone.
- See also: the One Day In Peace project… Just Imagine!
- Nonviolence International
- information and resources on the use of nonviolent direct action in the service of justice and human development
- the nonviolence web
- Nonviolent Civil Disobedience Handbook (from the October 1987 Stop First Strike actions in Santa Cruz, CA)
- Peace Brigades International
- Without the accompaniment of Peace Brigades International, I would not be alive today. — Amilcar Mendez, Council of Ethnic Communities, Guatemala
- on-line for peace and justice
- a Quaker page
- Towards a Global Ethic
- participate in the realization of an ethic for global peace
- (a project of the Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions (CPWR)
- United States Institute of Peace
- a collection of Internet resources relating to international conflict resolution, negotiation theory, and peace studies
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- December 10, 1998 marked the 50 year anniversary of this important document.
- War & Peace Foundation
- We seek to help hasten an end to militarism, war and the causes of war.
- War Resisters League
- The War Resisters League affirms that all war is a crime against humanity. We therefore are determined not to support any kind of war, international or civil, and to strive nonviolently for the removal of all causes of war.
- We The Peoples Initiative
- a co-operative movement to unite the strengths of existing organizations and projects toward making Peace a practical reality in the 21st century
Americans for Computer Privacy (ACP)The ACP is focused on educating the public and lawmakers on the encryption issue. „Your privacy is at stake!”
CDT Guide to Online PrivacySNOOPER 2.0 – Who’s Watching You and What are You Telling Them?
Crypto Rights.org„No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.”
– Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Encryption, Privacy and Security Resource PageEncryption technology is the key to the future of the information revolution.
Online Privacy Alliance„The Online Privacy Alliance is a diverse group of corporations and associations who have come together to introduce and promote business-wide actions that create an environment of trust and foster the protection of individuals’ privacy online.”
Privacilla.orgPrivacilla takes a free-market liberal (or libertarian) stance toward privacy issues.
The Privacy JournalWhat is privacy? The right of individuals to control the collection and use of personal information about themselves
Privacy.org, which hosts
- Privacy International
- Formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance by governments and corporations, PI helps to raise awareness about the dangers of ID card systems, military surveillance, data matching, police information systems, and credit reporting.
Privacy, Profiling & Commerce Protocols from the W3CNote especially the Platform for Privacy Preferences Project (P3P)Also, check out the OpenPrivacy Bibliography
The Coming Jurisdictional Swamp of Global Internetworking by Douglas Barnes(Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Anonymity)
Privacy Protection: Time to Think and Act Locally [PDF]From Release 1.0 (April 1998) by Esther Dyson
The PRIVACY ForumThe PRIVACY Forum includes a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the „information age” of the 1990’s and beyond.
Security And Freedom through Encryption (SAFE)SAFE’s goal is to raise awareness for the importance of encryption technology to enhance privacy and security on the global information infrastructure, and the problems posed by the current US approach to cryptography policy
Webveilthe pragmatic Web surfer’s guide to Internet privacy.
Wired’s Clipper Archive (old but still useful)and index of privacy resources
- Action Without Borders (idealist.org)
- A global coalition of individuals and organizations working to build a world where all people can live free, dignified and productive lives.
- Activist Handbook (protest.net)
- A pretty good practical introduction to being politically active
- a global network of artists, activists, writers, pranksters, students, educators and entrepreneurs who want to advance the new social activist movement of the information age
- Anarchy Online – A new book investigating sex on the Internet
- by Charles Platt
- Bay Area Progressive Directory and Calendar
- Ken Cheetham’s excellent list of events and other happenings in the Bay Area that may be of interest to progressive minded people.
- Bureau of Public Secrets
- dedicated to all prisoners: „while there is a soul in jail, I am not free”
- an online gathering place for independent, grass-roots conservatism on the web.
- Free Speech Movement Archive
- Documenting Student Protest – U.C. Berkeley, 1964-65
- Institute for Global Communications (IGC)
- supporting global computer networks including PeaceNet, EcoNet, WomensNet, and AntiRacismNet and webhosting for non-profits as well as progressive individuals and companies
- working to bring ordinary people back into politics
- „To know, to utter and to argue freely according to conscience above all liberties” –John Milton
- Starhawk Community Access Network
- Links for sustainable living
- Trouble Tickets/
- Focusing on two main projects:
- to help activists in the grassroots movements for social justice and democracy learn to make better use of the Web medium
- to develop new „narratives” of opposition to right-wing ideological dominance.
- TV Turnoff Network
- a national nonprofit organization that encourages children and adults to watch much less television in order to promote healthier lives and communities
- When surfing the web is not enough…
- Working Assets Long Distance
- Put your phone to work! Working Assets is a credit card and long distance calling card company with a conscience that donates a sizable ammount of money every year to a set of great causes that the subscribes get to vote on. They often provide free phone calls to Washington congresscritters for important issues.
Dispărute, dar nu uitate
- a resource for activist campaigns online, focusing on issues such as human rights, AIDS, environmentalism, corporate responsibility, and sustainable development.
- GovAccess archives
- Jim Warren <firstname.lastname@example.org> runs an excellent newsletter called GovAccess that has a goal of making the process of governmental decisions open to the people, currently (and, perhaps, unfortunately) especially those who have email. EMail him to get on his list.
- Outlaws On The Electronic Frontier (warning: uses <blink>)
- Contains: Psychological Warfare Primer For Online Activism: version 2.0
- Privacy, Free Expression and Ethics on the Internet
- The Think List archives
- Information designed to make you think
- Voters Telcomm Watch (VTW)